Good Days Start with Planning

We all have lousy days, and last week I had one of my lousiest. I embarrassed myself in a meeting, destroyed my company laptop and locked myself out of my car. My day began like any other. I got up and showered, brushed my teeth and then headed for the door. Seems like a perfect morning. So what went wrong?

Well, after talking to my colleagues I realized that the problems I had all came back to things I hadn’t done in the morning. I could always start my day on the right foot by asking myself three simple questions:

1. What is the weather forecast?
  2. What does my schedule look like?
  3. What do I have planned after work?

Checking the weather

I rarely have time to turn on the news in the morning to check the weather, but had I taken a moment to glance at my weather app, I would have seen that we were due for some serious stormy weather. Needless to say, flip-flops were a terrible footwear choice. While they are great for playing Frisbee at the park, flip flops can be a problem in the office. Imagine if someone stepped on my toe while I walked through the office? That would make for a painful situation for me and my coworkers.

Anyway, it was raining that morning and 635 was all backed up. Rushing to get into the office, I slipped on the wet pavement on the top level of the parking garage and fell. I sent my laptop flying across the pavement right into a puddle of water. If only I had taken a few moments to check the weather I could have avoided having to explain to my boss why my laptop had short circuited, or why I was wearing footwear that’s meant for outside the office.

Work Schedule and Afternoon Plans

Did I mention I forgot to set my alarm the night before? Since I started in a bit of a rush, I grabbed the first thing I saw in my closet, my favorite Hawaiian shirt. At the time, it seemed like a good idea and hey, it looks great with my shoes. Had I taken a moment to check my schedule for the day, I would have remembered that big presentation with Mark Rohr. I was under-dressed to say the least. It was also a little awkward when I showed up at the Sasquatch Young Professionals Happy Hour and everyone else was in suits. I definitely stood out from the crowd.

It All Comes Back to the Morning

OK, so now I get what Mother Sasquatch was trying to tell me when I was a little Sasquatch in the Piney Woods. The morning is when I have the time to prepare for my day, and by just asking myself a few simple questions I’ll have fewer planning and safety mishaps throughout the day. It’s easy to think that I don’t have the time, but with a little planning, I’ll save time and lower my stress level.

Comment below with stories of your own safety and planning mishaps and tips on what makes for a perfect morning.

21 people like this post.

About the author

Sasquatch hails from the East Texas Pineywoods, and is a former Celanese intern who joined the company full time in April 2015. In his free time he enjoys walking down by the river, and learning new things about life out of the woods.

There are 10 comments. Add yours.

1. Patrick Dailey says:

Sasquatch – I feel your pain. My story was just the opposite. I came to work dressed for success with slacks and a nice long sleeve shirt and jacket. I did not plan for after work where I ended up at my kid’s baseball game in 100 degree heat. Man I sweated like crazy. I wish I would have had your flip flops and your Hawaiian shirt that afternoon. And because it is so close to Mother’s day here in the states – I think we should give a shout out to your mother. She raised a pretty bright kid!

• Sasquatch says:

Patrick – I actually spent the weekend back at home in the Pineywoods. I got to tell my mother about the many new things I’m learning about safety and planning as an employee here at Celanese.

2. Raquel Robinson says:

Thank you for this post, Sasquatch. You’re not alone. I’ve found that preparing everything the night before, while sometimes very difficult to do, helps make the mornings go by smoothly. That includes preparing my lunch, picking out my clothes, and packing the car. I also make it a habit to check the traffic on my phone before I leave the house to make sure I don’t run into an accident or road construction on the way to work.

• Sasquatch says:

Getting a head start on your day the night before sounds like a great way to stay safe and organized. Reminds me of my days in the SSA (Sasquatch Scouts of America) where I learned to always prepare for the day ahead. Thanks for sharing your experience, Raquel!

3. Mark Sasek says:

Sasquatch – sorry to hear you had such a rough day. I find it particularly helpful to take a moment and best prepare for my day’s schedule- sometime this includes a conscious decision on what best to wear – especially if there is a chance for slippery weather conditions. For these days, I choose shoes with the best traction, which has helped me avoid a slip and makes for a good start to the day!

• Sasquatch says:

Mark – Sounds like you’re a step ahead of the game! I’m still catching up, but I’ll definitely be more conscientious of my own footwear choices after last week. Picking out shoes is pretty new to me since I grew up stomping around barefoot in the forest.

4. Margie Dolch says:

Sasquatch, I appreciate how your planning is focused on the bigger picture as you think about the whole day. Stay tuned for a blog I will share later this week on how a little planning can go a long way.

5. Leysy Paola Rodriguez says:

It’s true focus on plans for the day and be prevented by anything that could change.

Enfocarse en los planes que se tiene en el dia y ser prevenidos por cualquier cosa que pudiera cambiar :)

Regards from Celenese Cangrejera

6. Hugo Hernandez says:

Sasquatch.
    You are talking about the most powerful tool to avoid “in a hurry” behavior. Specially planning is key for our safety activities to prevent fatalities in our sites. I want to mention the 4 basic steps introduced by Mr. Deming, several years ago. Plan, Do, Check and Act, we have to focus on them in order to create a safe environment, were execution is working.

Regards, Hugo