Celanese Poised For A Mexican Resurgence
For a long time, Celanese and Mexico have enjoyed a successful and rewarding relationship with almost 70 years of continued presence as one of Mexico’s most notable companies. It all started in 1945 when Celanese began manufacturing cellulose acetate yarn for the textile industry at Ocotlan, Jalisco. The 1950s and 1960s marked an important growth in the areas of synthetic and artificial fibers (e.g., nylon, rayon) as well as the plastic film industries (e.g., cellophane). During the 1970s, Celanese Mexicana established a polyester manufacturing plant in Queretaro and started the production of acrylic esters at Cosoloeacaque. In 1982, the Cangrejera Chemical complex began operations, catapulting Celanese Mexicana into the role of the largest secondary chemicals and fibers producer in Mexico. It was also during this time that Celanese Mexicana became a major exporter with sales outside Mexico representing 37 percent of its production by volume. These goods were being shipped to the United States and Canada, Western Europe, North Africa, China and Hong Kong, and, in South America, to Argentina, Brazil and Venezuela.
In 1987, Celanese Corp. became Hoechst Celanese AG when the U.S.-based corporation was acquired by the German pharmaceuticals manufacturer Hoechst. In 1997, Hoechst spun off its Industrial Business as part of its strategy to concentrate in…